What crystals and herbs should I use for a seance?
For the next two Fridays, the last two before Halloween, we're going to be offering a limited-time series called Friday Night Frights! Here we'll tell you a way to use crystals that might be a bit off the beaten path but has been in use for centuries. Tonight that topic is... séances!
We were recently asked what the best crystals and herbs to use for a séance are. If you're unfamiliar, a seance is something that is done to communicate with spirits. It's likely that you've seen it in movies. There is usually a medium sat at a table with a group of people around them. There might be a crystal ball, they could be holding hands, and sometimes the spirit will "possess" the medium.
This is the Hollywood dramatization and not what usually happens. While you can work within a group, you can perform a seance just by yourself and you don't have to be a medium. When you do seek messages or communication from beyond, the lights won't flicker and the table won't shake. This is just another Hollywood tactic.
All you're looking to do in a séance is pass along messages to the spirit world and, if you're fortunate, you'll receive a sign in return. This sign is often not instantaneous either. It will likely appear to you when you least expect it within days following the seance. Crystal gazing is often involved in seances, so it is possible you may see your message within the crystal, too.
Items Needed for a Séance
Here are the recommended items for a séance. You can add more as you'd like but these are what is suggested as a base to start with.
- Candles. You can use any type of candle you would like as long as it's white. We prefer using the Crown Chakra Candle, Third Eye Chakra Candle, or Sacred Space Candle. The best scents for this application are Rose, Rosemary, Jasmine, or Sage. As long as you have one white candle, you can also add on a violet candle for enhanced psychic abilities and clairvoyance and a blue candle for enhanced communication skills.
- Crystals. Do you know how you always see a Clear Quartz crystal ball at séances? Part of that is because Quartz spheres are perfect for crystal gazing and the rest of that is because Clear Quartz in general is a necessary part of any séance. It amplifies the energy of all the other crystals and items around it and helps to send your message out into the world. We have a few Clear Quartz Spheres in stock which would be perfect. However, you can use any Clear Quartz. These Quartz Hearts or Quartz Angels would also work well.Once you have your Clear Quartz chosen, you will need a Spirit Quartz. It facilitates the transition between different brainwave states, heightening awareness and psychic perception, and encourages insightful dreams. It assists in out-of-body journeying and the ascension process, activates the Lightbody, and provides multi-directional spiritual and cellular healing. It is also strongly recommended you have some Black Tourmaline as well for protection and grounding.Finally, an optional addition which is a favorite among mediums is Crystal Skulls. Adding a crystal skull of any type to your séance can significantly increase the power.
- Incense. Choose scents like cinnamon, frankincense, or lemongrass to increase psychic powers and attract spirits.
- White Sage Stick. It is important to cleanse the area before and after a séance. Get one here.
- Personal Item. This should be an image of the person you are trying to communicate with or an item that belonged to them. If you are not trying to reach someone specific (such as a spirit in your home), use one of your own personal items instead.
How to Perform
How you perform a séance is a personal choice. You may prefer to use a medium and a group of people or you may want to perform one on your own. The choice is completely up to you. We can't tell you how to perform your ritual because séances are very personal. However, we can give you some tips that have helped us.
- Smudge the area first with White Sage, then set up your Black Tourmaline near you. Place your Clear Quartz in front of you (in the center). The rest just need to be nearby.
- Light all of your candles and then incense. Make sure you are thinking about the person you want to speak to as you do.
- Hold the person's picture/item in your hand and talk to them out loud. Ask them any questions you might have or pass on any messages.
- Spend time holding the Clear Quartz in your hands and gazing into it looking for answers. Periodically, hold the crystal up to the light of the candle and look through it.
- Keep an eye out for messages in the days to come if you didn't receive one right away. It could be something as simple as seeing a special bird or finding something, like a coin, on the ground.